Sunday, August 1, 2010

Green Mango Salad

I was in Toronto last week. A most memorable dish was this salad at Happy Thai on West Queen West. (I was the only customer there for a late lunch, so needless to say the service was excellent as well.) I tried duplicating it at home, but my dressing just wasn't the same. It was good though! My recipe for two follows:

Salad
  • Green (slightly hard) mango, sliced into fat matchsticks (one small or 1/2 large)
  • 1/3 sweet red pepper, also sliced in thin strips
  • some red onion, sliced a bit chunky
  • crushed peanuts
  • whole roasted cashews (ok to use salted)
  • cilantro, some chopped fine and some for garnish
  • cucumber and orange slice for garnish
  • large piece of lettuce for the base
  • optional: carrot, sliced into very fine matchsticks
Dressing
  • juice of 1/2 lime, or to taste
  • 1 tsp Thai fish sauce
  • 1 tsp sugar dissolved in 2 tsp warm water
  • 1/2 tsp spicy toasted sesame oil, or to taste, since this is the source of hot peppers
  • 1 tsp pickapeppa (I wanted to get tamarind flavor in there somewhere, since I didn't have any in the house)
Arrange the salad ingredients on the plate, then whisk together the dressing and pour over.

No comments:

Post a Comment