Monday, June 28, 2010

Mustard crusted chicken

Last night I made chicken for J and she loved it. She had leftovers today for lunch and sent me an email message telling me how great it was.

I haven't tasted chicken, or any other meat, since the day I started college (quite a long time ago). When I decided to start making meat dishes for J, this posed a challenge since I'm not willing to taste anything that touches the meat, including the sauces I make from deglazing the pan, etc. So I have no sense of my own about what flavorings really work with chicken, vs. pork or beef. But the chicken had reached its "sell-by" date so I had to do something with it. It was hot and humid, and getting late, so I didn't want to wait a half hour for coals on the grill. Instead, I turned on the toaster oven and decided to bake it with a coating I'd used previously on pork loin. Turns out it works for chicken too!
  • Preheat oven to 400 •F.
  • With a mortar & pestle, crush 2 cloves garlic with 1/2 tsp fennel seeds and add about 2 Tbsp stone ground mustard.
  • Trim the chicken breasts by cutting down the middle and removing the tenders so the two breasts are relatively smooth on both sides.
  • Sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper, then coat with the mustard mixture. Do the same to the tenders.
  • In a food processor or chopper, mix about 1/4 c grated parmesan with breadcrumbs made from 1 slices of whole wheat bread, and a healthy bunch of whatever fresh or dried herbs you have on hand (parsley, rosemary, thyme). Pour over the chicken and pat to make sure it sticks, covering the entire surface.
  • Bake the 2 breasts for about 5 minutes or until the crumbs start to turn golden. At this point add the smaller pieces. Turn and bake until done.

No comments:

Post a Comment